Thursday, March 18, 2010

Irish Twins


Apparently there is an actual term to describe my current family plan. Irish twins are siblings who are born within 12 months of each other. Sage was born on November 3, 2009 and his little partner in crime is due to make his/her appearance October 1, 2010.

Irish Twins.

I first heard this at my doc appt last week and its the term he used. So I thought, why not look it up...see if its a real thing.

Please keep in mind I am slightly obsessed with Ireland and the Irish culture. My great-grandmother came over from Ireland when she was young, I have traveled there, my name is about as Irish as they get and I was even the St. Patrick's Day Queen for our towns Irish celebration. I have celtic crosses in my house, a 4 leaf clover tattoo on my foot and a horse with an Irish name. Yep....slightly obsessed.

So to me, the term "Irish Twins" was fitting and fun! You can imagine my suprise when I found out that its considered a derogatory term. An insult as the expense of the Irish catholic who did not practice contracpetion so they had lots of babies close together.

OK...let me say this now...I do believe in birth control and I am not the most active Catholic on the planet.

Anyway....lets check out a couple definations of Irish Twins:

From wisegeek.com
Firstly, the term pokes fun at the stereotypical fertility of Irish Catholic families, which traditionally do not use birth control. In addition, it implies that the Irish lack the ability to plan ahead or control themselves, having children in quick succession rather than responsibly spacing them.

From Worldwidewords.org
What it means is easy enough to explain. It refers to siblings born in the same calendar year, or otherwise less than twelve months apart. It’s clearly a deeply derogatory comment about the stereotypical fecundity (and lack of contraception) of Irish Catholic families.

From about.com
The term is used to describe two children born to the same mother in the same calendar year or within twelve months of each other. The phrase originated as a derogatory term associated with Irish immigration to the United States and England in the 1800's. The implication was that large groups of close-in-age siblings were the result of uneducated, poor Irish Catholic families' lack of birth control as well as self-control.

Hmmm....ok, so from this I can concur that I am a uneducated, lazy, with an uncontroable sexual appetite however very dedicated to the catholic church. All because I am having 2 kids within 12 months. Well, 11 months.

Hmmm......

Why does it have to be about lack of birth control? Why is it such a shock and do people look at me like I am insane because I am having 2 kids so close together? Oh wait....because it is.

It was a shock to us also but that doesnt make it a bad thing. Not planned (Im not insane yet) however I have heard so many people saying "good lord, you just had one!". Yep...I know...I was there and I have to go change his diaper now. But hey....what can I do now....Irish Twin #2 is growing and doing great while Irish Twin #1 is also thriving, rolling over, laughing, pulling his sisters hair, and doing all the fantastic things that moms and dads wait so long to witness.

Just because my babies will be 11 months apart doesnt mean anything except I will probably never have the time to wear make up again.


No comments:

Post a Comment