Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I told you so!

It all started yesterday afterschool when SHE responded to the question "Where are your snow boots at?" with "in my room, go get them for me."

Umm, no...and now you know why she is being referred to as SHE.

Well, its safe to say that I didnt go get them. For several reasons, first and foremost being I am not her slave and I dont take orders from her. I have had this exact conversation with my darling offspring more then once and her answer is usually "well why do I have to take orders from you then?"

One word...LABOR.

This time, instead of arguing with her, I just let her go. I informed her that she would be very cold in the morning because we were getting 6 inches of snow tonight and she kept walking, so I let her.

There was no snow in the forecast, but I had to give it one more shot.

Fast forward to this morning and sweetie-pie getting up and getting dressed in her skirt and tights and favorite pair of shoes. Hannah Montana with a slight wedge heel. I knew where we were going with this....I saw it happening last night when she left the boots at school. She wants to show off her fancy shoes, that are a size to small but "MOM its OK...I LOVE THEM and will suffer to wear them"....oh my.

We get to school and I tell her to "watch out for the ice, walk around the car."

"OK" which usually means an acknowledgement of what was said......but who am I kidding....she is 7...there is never a guarantee of acknowledgement.

As I am talking to another fabulous mom about the drama of her morning and how our husbands share the same thought process (which can be seriously lacking, I might add) I watch dear daughter start to walk across the frozen pond that is covering the parking lot at school....then break through...then instead of turning around and getting out of the icy water she kept going until she is up to her ankles in water.

Wet shoes. Wet tights. Wet child.

Is it bad that it took everything I had to curb my inner child from yelling "I TOLD YOU SO!!"?

She didnt even bother to look back because she knew that I was right. I told her that would happen, I told her she would get her precious Hannah Montana shoes wet. I wasnt going to feel bad for her because I had told her numerous times about her boots.

As I was shaking my head, one of her friends showed up at my door and told me that Piper said I should go get her tights and dry shoes because she was all wet. I told her friend that she could tell Piper I was pretty sure she wouldnt melt for being a little wet but she was that miserable, to put on her gym socks and boots...at least those were dry.

At least she was smart enough to send someone else to ask that question.

Small victory, I'll admit and I probably should feel slightly bad for her but really...I dont. I can only talk and talk and talk so much and frankly, I am getting tired of talking and reminding. I am really getting tired of the demands that I go get all the things that she forgets. That probably makes me a bad mom but oh well....we tend to learn lessons the hard way in my house. I have a feeling that this may be one lesson that is now officially learned.

Until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment