Sunday, March 21, 2010

Heaven on Earth




As far as I am concerned, I live in Heaven on Earth. From the first time I wandered here via North Platte Airport I was in love. There is something very special about the Sandhills. Shawn warned me from the very beginning that once you are here, the sand gets into your blood and you will never want to leave.



Its not just the sand that gets into your blood, its the quirky nature of Small Town U.S.A.



Its the traffic jam on my way to church this morning.




Its the town dog that sits on the bench outside of the bar, welcoming all patrons. She was wearing bouncy shamrock headband on St. Patty's Day.






Its the other town dog, the one who sleeps in the middle of the road and people drive around. Or his buddy who can often be found sleeping in the chair in the bank. (I may or may not be related to the owners of those 2 town puppies.)

Its the neighors and friends who live miles away from me, who knitted beautiful blankets when Sage was born.



Its letting the elementary school students out of school early the days of the high school football games, so that everyone can go cheer on the team. It only makes the kiddos want to play that much more when they are older!




Its having to hold a memorial service at the County Fairgrounds, because it was the only place that could hold the entire county coming to say goodbye to the young mother who lost her battle with cancer.

Its dinner Friday night with family and friends at the bar.

Its having a picture emailed to me from friend of her son riding a llama in a bar.

Its the another friend getting a llama as a wedding present!

As in any town, any place, people do leave, but they always seem to find a way back. The sand truely does get into your blood.









3 comments:

  1. Love the pics!
    http://desperateranchwife.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. By far, the most touching blog you've written. It's because you're writing about your home, your friends and the life you love to live. This one made me cry. The pictures tell the story, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that one Tara - it made me laugh out loud and then brought tears to my eyes at the end - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete