Monday, May 24, 2010

Your FIRED!!!

For those of you who dont know me well I need to inform you that I am PARANOID of snakes. I am a total irrational freak when it comes to snakes and I am ok with that. I have survived 30 years like this and I dont anticipate that changing anytime soon.

My hubby assured me that while we live in an area where their are very large, very mean snakes, our dogs will take care of them. Junior specifically....he is a snake killer! He will bark at them, get them to strike at him and when they stretch out, he grabs and shakes and kills them dead. PERFECT FOR ME.

Well, not quite "perfect"....that would mean there weren't any snakes anywhere within a 100 mile radius but since my husband doesn't believe that is going to happen, second best is a snake killing dog.

I found out today just how "reliable" the snake killer is. Or isn't is the better term.

The dogs started barking insanely and I thought the dreaded UPS man has pulled in the drive way. I looked out the window just in time to see the snake strike at the boys. Yes, Husker was helping but he didnt last long...he ran and hid and left Junior to take care of the snake all alone. I wasn't to worried...after all, he was a "snake killer"!

Junior barked and barked and the snake coiled and struck out at him. They repeated this little dance several times while I waited and watched. Waiting for the kill! Waiting for my hero to rescuse me from the 4 foot snake that was 6 feet from the window.

My hero seemed to have a different idea as he continued to bark and circle and bark. For 30 minutes. Yes....MINUTES!!! Apparently the "killer" instinct takes time to formulate a plan. In the mean time, I am proceeding to flip out. To which I needed no plan for. Its just a natural talent I have.

The approved method for sandhillers to kill the snakes is the shovel method. Wacking them in half or 3rds, or really however many times you feel necessary to kill them. This is not a method I approve of. Do you know how close I have to get to wack a snake with a shovel???

Hubby said my approved method was to shoot them. OK, that would have been fine and I would have done it except for the fact that the gun I know how to use was in the pick up that hubby had out on the ranch with him. I debated just grabbing one from downstairs but thought better of it when I realized I didnt know what kind of ammunition to use in which gun, and would probably end up blowing off my hand and missing the snake.

I called my dad (in Michigan) and asked him for help and he recommended the shovel method. I reminded him how close I would have to get and that wasnt going to happen. I called my mom (in Michigan) and she agreed the shovel method wasnt going to happen, to close (thanks mom!). I called my mother in law who said the shovel method was an option but not one she would use, just to encourage the dog. Father in law didnt answer the phone.

Why didn't I call hubby...well because his phone was in the living room right next to where I was sitting. Gotta love hubbies and cell phones....I still don't know why we pay for one for him.

Finally, as I was pacing in the house, cancelling my plans for the gardens in the front and side yards, I hear the barking slow. I go to check it out thinking that the "killer" found his instinct.

Not so much. He was instead laying down about 4 feet from the snake.....his exhaustion kicking in. The snake was also uncoiling so I guess he was tired also. They needed a "time out" from the mutual hate and agression for each other. That whole "pretending to bite" on both sides was exhausting.

Finally....hubby appeared in the window. He was ready to kill the snake...with a shovel. I choose at this time to start yelling at him through the window and he ignored me. Rightfully so until he killed the snake. THEN the dog jumped into the game. Once it was dead. Yep...he's a killer all right.


Hubby came into the house and I told him "we have to talk about the snake killer" and he said "What about him?"

REALLY????

"He is FIRED" was my reply. We are going back to my original plan of ringing the entire front yard with moth balls and planting marigolds along the sidewalks to the garage. And anything else I could find when I googled "how to protect your yard from snakes".

"Well, he needed his partner in crime to distract the snake so he could move in for the kill. He has only killed 2 or 3 in his life, he is still learning."

My fearless defender is a rookie.

My husband had me convinced that it was safe to walk into the yard KNOWING my paranoia because Junior, the snake killer, would go with me and protect me. He conveniently left out the part about Junior needed back up to take out the reptile. I may never forgive him for that.

I may never walk outside again. I know that isnt an option but I can tell you the odds of my having my boots on everytime I leave the house is extremly high.

As for the "snake killer" he is currently resting in the sun. It took alot of energy to entertain a 4 foot snake for 30 minutes. Or as my hubby says, a 16 inch snake...but why should Ibelieve him. HE is the one who also told me that Junior had a black belt in snake killing and we all know the truth behind that now dont we. Its a good thing he is cute...and that goes for BOTH of them.


The standoff begins.
He looked to me like he was 4 feet long....this picture just doesnt show it.

1 comment:

  1. AHHHHH!!! I would've died...I don't own a dog so this sista would've been extra screwed!

    Glad to see that you and Junior survived!

    ReplyDelete