Wednesday, May 19, 2010

No Touch Zone

I am one of those pregnant people that give other pregnant chicks a bad rap. There is nothing fun or exciting, to me, about being pregnant.

1) I find nothing amusing about my ribs and bladder being used as part of a circus act, especially in the middle of the night.

2) The "miracle of life" hits me when the baby is here, not before. Prior to delivery its more like that scene from Alien when the Alien crawls itself out of Sigourney Weaver's stomach.

3) I dont glow. Its excess oil on my face and its also causing my break outs. So lets not talk about it because mentioning "the glow" simply makes me think about my zits. Thanks.

4) Touching. Why do people, friend or foe, feel it necessary to touch my increasing waist line???

Its the last one that had me going today. I just dont understand what is so amusing about touching my stomach? So you run the chance of maybe getting kicked....its not that much fun. Or maybe it is and I am just missing the amusement. Either way.....as far as I am concerned, it isnt ok to touch.

I wondered if Iwas alone in my feelings so I posted an informal poll on the internet baby website that I am member of asking just that. The responses were not all that surpising to me.....the poll and resulting answers were:

Are you ok with people touching your belly?
Yes - Doesnt bother me at all.
No - Stay away, stay far, far away.
Depends on who it is.

As I expected, the results were mostly for "depends on who it is with 42 out of the 70 responderes choosing that option. If I was a more understanding pregnant person I could see this option. However I am not. Even fully medicated, I am not. And my doc says my welbutrin is about as high of a dosage as he is willing to go so I guess the world it outta luck in that catagory.

I was a bit more suprised that so many people, 16 in fact, said that they didnt have any problem with people touching their belly's. Thats something I cant even get a grasp on....just being ok with people, family or not, just walking up, putting their hand on your stomach and hoping to feel the baby moving. Umm...NOOOOOO!

There are at least 12 other people who understand my position because they belong to the same group. I like to think we are the normal ones even if we are the minority.

I will add here that my discomfort does not apply to my hubby or my kiddos. Stinkerbell thinks its amusing and while I creeps me out, I allow her to. I worry more about scarring her for life and the resulting therapy bills if I dont just let her feel the baby kicking. Hubby, thankfully is just as weirded out by the whole thing as I am, so he isnt overly touchy feeling. Well, he isnt overly touchy feeling period, I just dont bother him about it when I am pregnant. I think that is his favorite part, lol!!

My feelings do expand to my family, much to my moms dismay. Sorry mom, I know your reading this. Just understand that it isnt just you.....anyone who dares runs the risk of losing a limb.

I cant help my feelings....and I wont apologize. Its how I am....cant change it and I wont try. No reason to....only a few more months and then I am done...yahooo!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment