Thursday, April 1, 2010

I got ROLLED!

This is the announcement my husband just gave as he walked in the door.

"Honey, you missed it, I got ROLLED!!"
"You got what?"
"I got rolled."
"By a cow?"
"Yep!!"

Most wives might be shocked by this announcement but I wasnt. However this is not an announcement that would be made in a daily run-down of a typical 9-5 job. But my husband doesnt have a normal 9-5 job. He is a rancher. And if its one thing I have learned about being in a ranching family its that what we consider normal is most likely considered insansity by others. Pride at being hit by a cow would be a good example of that. Most of my "non-ranch" friends wouldnt even roll down the window to look at a cow, let alone get out of the truck. My ranch friends know exactly what I am talking about.

Heck, their husbands would all be just as proud.

The best part is that I saw it coming. I really did. Driving back from taking Stinkerbell to school I saw the "power ranger" in the calving pasture circling a momma that was stomping, flipping her head around and turning in circles faster then 1100lbs should be able to. Her baby was running away as fast as his day old legs would take him.

You would be very surprised how fast day old legs can more when they want to.

I thought to myself "oh she doesnt look happy". And I was correct.

So when he came in an announced he had been rolled I asked if it was on top of that one hill...YEP!, and did the baby try to run behind the truck...YEP!...and did momma let you know she was ticked before she got you...YEP!. Apparently it was right after I went around the corner that he looked up to see where she was and BAM....she got him right in the chest. Thankfully she only wanted to scare him off otherwise she would have crashed through him instead of into him, more then one time and then sat on his head. If she really wanted to do damage, she would have.

Should I be concerned that he seemed proud of the fact that he got rolled this morning?

In a typical situation, yes...but again, I am married to a cowboy and what is amusing to them is often terrifying to someone else. Which is probably why I married a cowboy.

P.S. the power ranger is not my husband (though sometimes I think he thinks.......nevermind). The power ranger is the old, blue Ford Ranger without a back window, and doors that dont works well, and severeal dings and dents that just happen to be the same size as a crazed cows head. Perfect for tagging calves.

No comments:

Post a Comment