Saturday, April 17, 2010

What a difference a year makes

WOW! One year ago today all our hopes and prayers were answered and our dreams were finally within reasonable reach. One year ago today after 16 months of discussion, and 6 weeks of sleepless nights and tears and bargaining with God and everyone else in the world, we finally got what we wanted all along.


One year ago today we were granted permission to relocate to Nebraska and bring Stinkerbell with us.

While this was everything we had wanted, like anything else, it came with consequences. For us personally, we lose precious time with Stinkerbell in the summertime. For Stinkerbell, she loses precious time with the other half of her family. Both are things that we knew were going to be challenging to face however were something that was necessary.

Was it necessary? Yes, I believe it was necessary. For all of us. Change is never easy and this was no exception, however the hardest things in life often reap the greatest rewards. Stinkerbell is thriving here! She loves school, has a great group of friends and is growing into the young lady I aways hoped she would be. Would this have happened in Michigan as well? Probably, but she wouldnt be the same kid with the same freedoms she has here. She asks me to take her into town to ride bikes with the kids. She wouldnt be able to have that option in MI. It wasnt safe enough. She sat after school and chatted with the junior high girls while watching high school track practice. She performed in the school talent show, and I know for a fact that would not have happened in Michigan. She is losing her shyness and inhibitions, becoming herself. Thats all any parent can ask or hope for.

As for hubby and I....I honestly believe that if we had not been able to make the move back to NE, our marriage would have suffered. He wasnt happy in MI. He never would be. He isnt someone you can stick in a big town and have work in retail and be happy. However, he did it and he did it for us. There isnt more you can ask for in a husband then someone who will sacrifice the only life they have ever known to be with you. For that, I will forever be thankful.

As for me, well, most of you know how I feel about the Sandhills. The magic of the sand got into my blood and helped me realize the person I truely am inside. I dont care about make up or fashion (well, a little about fashion). I care about my family and friends, about the ranch and the animals on it. I care about being the best mom I can be, the best mom I can be and the best friend and family member I can be. The distractions of life in the fast lane of MI are gone, so I can just be me.

Again, what more can a person ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment